Epic bought Bandcamp recently! I’m not working with Epic nor Bandcamp, but I have a few ideas why they could work together, let’s see why.
“Free internet gathering”
There’s one common pattern between gaming and music : captive platforms. Epic & Bandcamp seem to join on a few points:
- More freedom to the creative people
- Low share for service give more freedom to the creative people
- Curation and good community management, willingness to have a strong brand recognized by creative people
- Willingness to improve self-serving tools continuously on the long term
Bandcamp has an amazing recognition among musician. From what I know, musician’s revenue often come in this order:
- Concerts / live events : 30–70%
- Streaming : 10–20%
- Bandcamp : 10–20%
Bandcamp only takes 10% and it gave them a very high recognition among musician. I’ve heard that these creative people really love the tool, the website and this branding. When you buy a company, you also get their brand recognition!
Building a streaming platform…. Or integrating into Epic?
It’s probable that the tech of Epic can help with the disruption needed by the Music industry.
There are two ways it can happen:
- Bandcamp joins the Epic Store, and sells their music with the same system that sells games
- Epic creates a Streaming app, which includes games AND music
There’s a tiny chance as well that Bandcamp’s musician can make deals with game developers to have their games integrated in a streamlined way. That said, this would be pretty crazy and original, so not likely!
Thank you for reading!
Our Games marketing agency has a website, in case you wanna know more about us!